Monday, June 9, 2008

The FRAA2008 Fly Boxes

I've been researching, purchasing, and organizing the flies Bill and I are going to need during our 15-day fishing trip. Obviously we won't know exactly what we'll need until we actually get to each stream--but our agressive travel/fishing schedule doesn't really allow for spending very much time at fly shops. Plus, we're going to burn through enough flies that I'd rather buy in bulk and save some money if possible.

Here's what I've got so far:









All told, it's nearly 800 flies. I probably have about 200 more that don't fit in the boxes (most of which are extra quantities of flies already represented in the photos). I never understood why some fly fishermen would get so devastated by losing a fly box. But that was before I had 500 flies in a single box.

1 comment:

RiverEco said...

Greetings FRAA! I just finished listening to your podcast episodes 1-3. Great stuff, very professional in terms of quality and informative! I especially enjoyed the episode in which you highlighted your trip to VA with your daughter. Is she still fishing away?

Any how, I was taking a look at your fly boxes and your selection of flies. Looks like you have each branch of the food chain covered. I grew up in the Finger Lakes of the Upstate NY and now live in Richmond VA where I chase smallies, and even catfish, on the fly rod, or stripers in the spring.

Just one comment on your selection-did you include flies crafter of rabbit? Zonkers, or a double bunny? This material is increadibly lively as it undulates, pulses, breathes and wiggles. Kelly Galloup, a famous Montana angler you may be familiar, advocates using rabbit streamers for large trout (I found a good podcast with his commentary that I will have to forward to you).

Great work, and I am anxious to hear about the rest of your trip!


Matt Beckwith